Ropa Vieja, Spanish for "old clothes" is a traditional Cuban dish that consists of shredded beef in a tomato base. Typically served alongside white rice, ropa vieja is often thought of as "comfort food" in Cuba. Topping off the dish with some chopped up pimiento stuffed olives gives it a little kick that contrasts nicely with the beef. This dish can be made in a crock pot, which makes it very convenient and easy to prepare!
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steak
- 2 sliced red bell peppers
- 1 sliced onion
- 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 finely diced chipotle chile in Adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp Adobo sauce
- 3 mined garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 tbsp chopped pimiento stuffed olives
- In a crock pot, add tomatoes, vinegar, diced chipotle, adobo sauce, garlic, bay leaf, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add flank steak, onions and bell peppers.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with stuffed olives and serve alongside fluffy rice.
This recipe was originally posted on The Latin Kitchen, a great resource for all things food, drink and culture in Latin America.